Friday, July 2, 2010

Frugal Friday: Recycled Clothing



I got to thinking, after last Friday’s post about using clothing on a layout...I remembered seeing someone (somewhere) use a cute denim pocket on their layout…hmmm, something to try.

I got a pair of small boy’s jeans from a friend (they were too worn-out to be donated) and got to imagining…

I wondered if my Cuttlebug and new Alterations flower die would cut the denim…

So I gathered up the Cuttlebug, the die and a good pair of sharp scissors…


First I removed the pockets and then a few other bits and pieces like the belt loops and some orange buttons that were inside the waist band.

Then I cut down the seam of one of the legs, and trimmed that into a smaller piece just big enough to cover the die.


I used my A plate on the bottom, then placed the die (face-up) with the jeans on top and topped the sandwich with another A plate.


I ran the sandwich through the Cuttlebug and it cut through nicely on the first pass.


If you don’t have a Cuttlebug and dies, try just cutting simple shapes from the fabric; fraying the edges might be cute…


Here is a layout I made using my recycled clothing…

Now I just need to go through my closet and find all my coffee stained blouses and worn-out pants…


So was the experiment worth it? Here is the tally:

Cost: I had everything on hand…if you don’t have a Cuttlebug or dies, you could simply trace and cut your shapes.

Cats Annoyed: 1 (Rooster was asleep on the old jeans, and I had to wake him up to use them….sorry, Rooster!)

Time: Fast…just the time it would take to rip apart the parts of the clothes you want to use

Skill Level: Basic


So there it is, recycled clothing! Easy Peasy…and Cheap! Cheap!

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea. I just came up with a thought. If you put fusible web on the fabric first then put it through the cuttlebug, you would have an applique all ready to iron on your fabric.

    ReplyDelete