Friday, January 14, 2011

Another Belated Post...

After four years of anticipating, joyfully reading and dutifully printing the instruction for Tim Holtz 12 tags of Christmas...

I finally kicked it into gear and incorporated some of his designs/instructions into my 2010 Christmas cards...

With kitten drama (ya, I know your tired of hearing about it), getting a cold and general holiday-time obligations...I didn't actually get these mailed until December 21st...but I got them mailed!



Yep those are the envelopes I made myself back in September...with the homemade envelope glue...which, didn't work very well since my envelopes were stuffed so thick...I ended up using double-sided tape to keep them closed. But at least I got them mailed!

Here is an overall shot of some of the cards...


Each one was a tiny bit different, depending on the color of the card-base I used, the color and design of the embossed metal behind the tags and the twine I used to "tie" them together with. In all I made 6 different tags (4 of each)...and twenty-four cards...

Like I said, they are based on Tim Hioltz's designs, using what I had on hand...



I learned the embossing metal technique at a class I took at Scrapbook Expo in November, taught by Krazy Kreations (a semi-local LSS in Northern California) using Ten Seconds Studios thin colored metal sheets...fun!

You just run the metal sheet through your embossing tool of choice, mine is the Cuttlebug and I used a variety of embossing folders...and then you sand off the layer of color from the metal, which really makes the embossed image POP!


I think this is my favorite one...I love the tag in general,but especially love the little super tiny label holder with the word "Believe"...the label holder and hinge are miniature grungeboard shapes frm Tim Holtz which I painted gold.


This was a fun to make tag...using clear embossing powder as a resist for the blue paint...this is from Tim's 2007 tags...


I like this tag too (what the heck, I like them all!)...although my choice of gold embossing powder (which wasn't really gold at all, but Carnelian) didn't work very well, you can't really see it on the dark inked background.


On this one I used 3 dimensional 'snow' paint (can't remeber who makes it, but I bought it at Michaels) and sprinkled coarse Martha Stewart glitter into it...love it!


I made my own 'grunge/chipboard' for this tag...I simply cut the same reindeer image three times and glued them on top of each other...a nice solution for when you can't find the right chipboard shape (or letter...) in the size you need...

These were all super fun to make...I got really inky and painty making them, and left huge messes on my work table...fun, fun, fun! Now I just have to wait another eleven months for Tim's new set of tags...

Waiting...

Waiting...

Waiting...

3 comments:

  1. pretty!!! i am impressed! love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! And I had fun hanging out with you guys at Trish's house ysterday. Hope you guys will let me come again. Did you do your SAR's Heart??? Lol... Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all so beautiful.
    I can't pick a favourite either :)
    I would keep these framed in my craft room if I received one ;)

    ReplyDelete